Job of the week: City Government Reporter at Chillicothe Gazette
(EDITOR’S NOTE: You can apply for the job here).
Chillicothe Gazette Media has an immediate opening for a full-time News Reporter. A Reporter is tasked with producing routine daily print and online content primarily concerning community, general and feature news. Work must be accurate and completed according to set deadlines. This process may involve collecting basic information, interviewing individuals, writing breaking, in-depth, feature, and project stories and contributing to video reports. Reports should focus on accountability of public officials through watchdog reporting by asking key questions and probing all supplied information. The position requires use of social media and new technologies to quickly share news and events online. It will include the acquisition or development of data for use in stories, graphics and online databases. Stories will need to be completed under tight time restraints and for specific target audiences. Works to ensure Gannett programs such as Information Center, Watchdog Reporting, Real Life/Real News, mainstreaming/diversity and defending the First Amendment are reflected in the company’s products.
· Gather news through attending events, interviews, research, data and other resources, to write stories for all platforms ensuring department’s success in initiatives and goals that include immediate online reporting of breaking news, watchdog reporting (holding public officials accountable), Real Life/Real News (creating content meaningful to readers lives) mainstreaming/diversity and reaching targeted audiences. Includes sports and photo assignments.
· Use or build community and public affairs knowledge to develop assigned beat by communicating with sources, identifying sources and developing expertise on local issues and stories of importance to our customers.
· Use online social media, blogs and online technology to communicate with readers in ways beyond traditional print and digital products.
· Obtain data necessary to explain stories to readers, including making public records requests and inquiries necessary to develop database content online.
· Assign photographs or other visual elements while working with editors and other staffers to plan visual presentation of completed work.
· Daily communication of coverage planning with editor by maintaining a news budget list of current and upcoming stories.
· Must have a thorough knowledge of writing and reporting with BA/BS degree or equivalent experience. Prefer major in journalism or communications; minimum of six to twelve months of prior reporting or professional writing experience. News reporting and public affairs reporting along with sports experience preferred.
· Excellent grammar and spelling required.
· Must be dependable and able to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; and able to handle a variety of assignments.
· Knowledgeable in using online social media such as Twitter, Facebook, blogging, etc.