Dream job post: Dean (Advising and Student Support Services) at Columbus State Community College
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for disabled persons covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
1) Provides vision, leadership and high level management for Testing Center Services, Advising Services, Transfer Center, First Year Experience Program, and other student and academic support services, projects or grants as assigned, such as TRIO programs. Works collaboratively with other college leaders in developing high school and university partnerships activities, college access and readiness programs, and student success and attainment initiatives.
2) Leads and manages within the context of a large comprehensive community college with multiple campuses, numerous regional learning centers and a large distance learning program.
3) Provides leadership to ensure the accuracy of degree plans and related advising tools and resources, including collaborative advising programs with college and university partners, with the goal of assisting students to complete educational goals, certificates and degrees, transfer successfully, and be on the pathway to further educational attainment and bachelor’s degrees.
4) Leads a college-wide advising committee to ensure broad engagement of college advising representatives and coordination and communication of activities and resources that support student success and attainment.
5) Maintains responsibility for managing Advising and Student Support Services human resources.
6) Directs preparation of department budgets, capital equipment and technology requests, and supervises departmental compliance with college budgetary practices, policies, and procedures.
7) Oversees the collection, evaluation and reporting of student success and other data on Advising and Student Support Services departments and programs in conjunction with institutional research groups and related projects, activities or grants. Administers ongoing systematic assessment and evaluation of services and programs. Benchmarks with other institutions and keeps current with emerging and best practices.
8) Ensures compliance with college policies pertaining to academic and student conduct, academic progress, and appeals processes. Maintains student files on students making contact with, or appealing to office of the Dean. Hears and acts upon student complaints. Maintains confidentiality of student records and other information.
9) Works assigned schedule, exhibits regular and predictable attendance and works outside of normal schedule as needed to meet workload demands. Performs other related duties as required.
Inquiries for this position should be directed to Sandra Kellam in the Human Resources Office at (614) 287-5213, or email
An appropriate combination of education, training, course work and experience may qualify an applicant to demonstrate required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Minimum qualifications for this position are: Master’s Degree required in Education, Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel or closely related field, PhD preferred, with 5 to 7 years progressively responsible experience in all aspects of student and academic support services, student development, and related student affairs.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Knowledge of: advanced management principles and practices; organizational planning; policy development and implementation; higher education administration; student information systems (preferably Datatel Colleague System); educational law; family rights and privacy act; financial aid federal and state rules and regulations; enrollment processes; advising and related academic support services; student development and student success; budget management and administration.
Skill in: verbal and written communications; leadership and leadership development; management and planning, scheduling and organizing work; student customer service; application of job software programs; student advising and counseling; listening; interviewing; maintaining work records; solving organizational problems; collaborating with faculty, staff and administrators; working in teams; managing multiple departments and functions.
Ability to: apply management principles to practical work situations; develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, supervisors, job contracts and general public; maintain and promote good public relations; maintain confidential and sensitive information; work effectively with persons of varying cultures and diversity; speak effectively before large groups, work effectively with internal and external higher education constituencies.
Posted on January 15, 2012, in Personal blog and tagged Chris Pugh, Columbus State Community College, Dean, Dream job of the week, Indeed.com, View From The Pugh. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.