Pop culture notes: Joanne Cash releases new Christmas album
– Gospel music legend Joanne Cash, sister of country music icon Johnny Cash, has released her latest album, The Christmas Collection (ACME Music Group), available now at iTunes and other digital retailers.
– The University of Findlay Orchestra will perform at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Winebrenner Theological Seminary TLB Auditorium. The concert will be conducted by Thomas Carey and is free and open to the public. Along with traditional holiday music, the event will feature the “Don Quixote” suite for strings and harpsichord by Georg Phillip Telemann. The orchestra also will perform an arrangement of Alexander Borodin’s “In the Steppes of Central Asia” with images and commentary from special guest artist Phil Sugden.
– The Malone University College of Theology, Arts, and Sciences – Department of Music will present a Jazz Ensemble concert featuring popular Christmas music Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in Memorial Chapel of the Johnson Center for Worship and the Fine Arts. The concert – under the direction of Tom Pylinski – is free and open to the public. A program follows.
– The Ashland Area Community Concert Band (AACCB) and Ashland University Wind Ensemble will present their annual Winter Festival Concert, under the direction Ashland University Director of Bands Leonard Salvo along with guest artist soprano Stephanie Sikora, on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the University’s Hugo Young Theatre. The concert is free and open to the public.
– As part of the Music Bach’s Series at The University of Findlay, singer/songwriter Jake Ousley of Nashville, Tenn., will perform “Christmas with Jake” from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday in the Alumni Memorial Union. There is no cost to attend, and tickets are not required.
– Northeast Ohio musician Chris Bayda will present his 4th annual “Rockin’ Around the Town Square” holiday rock concert and food drive 6:30 p.m. Friday-Sunday at the Main Street Theater in Columbiana, Ohio. General admission tickets are available for $7 and can be purchased online at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/211529 or by phone at 800-838-3006.
– The Malone University music ministry team New Vision will perform at the Canton Charge Faith and Family Night when the new NBA development league team takes on the Maine Red Claws 7 p.m. Saturday at the Canton Memorial Civic Center. New Vision will perform at halftime and in a post-game concert. Group rates are available.
(EDITOR’S NOTE: You can submit news and information for use in this column by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org)
Posted on December 6, 2011, in Pop Culture and tagged Canton Charge, Chris Bayda, Chris Pugh, Jake Ousley, Jazz Enemble Concert, Joanne Cash, Malone University, New Vision, University of Findlay Orchestra, View From The Pugh. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.